First, a quick disclaimer: I have no idea what Leica will announce at Photokina - I have collected the information in this post from previous rumors, leaks and interviews (this is an updated version of this post). Here it is, the big list of rumored/expected Leica products that will be announced at Photokina:
Leica M Edition 60
Many readers do not believe me, but I will stand behind what I reported two years ago: Leica will announce a new digital rangefinder without LCD screen:
"it will be a special limited edition that will have an ISO dial on back instead of a LCD screen. The camera will only capture color uncompressed RAW files and will have the same sensor as in the M 240. The thickness and dimensions will also be similar to the M240. The new camera will be simplified with less dials/buttons and no video recording capabilities. The selling price will be higher than the M 240 ($6,950.00)."
This camera was in the making for a long time - I first reported about it back in 2012. The M60 will most likely be a limited edition run and it will come together with one lens (either the 35mm or 50mm Summilux). A famous designer (or design studio) will be involved in the making of this model. This limited M60 will be made out of a "unique" metal/material - something that Leica has never done before and it will be priced "reasonably" (in Leica terms), which probably means cheaper compared to previous limited editions - for example the Leica M9 Titanium costed $26,500.
New Leica M Monochrom
New Leica M lenses
- New Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux in chrome (high probability)
- New Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux in chrome (high probability)
- New Leica 28mm f/1.4 Summilux (low probability)
- New Leica 35mm f/2.0 Summicron (low probability)
- Don't forget also the new Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 ZM (high probability)
Update: new Summarit M lenses:
- Leica Summarit-M 35 mm f / 2.4 ASPH
- Leica Summarit-M 50 mm f / 2.4
- Leica Summarit-M 75 mm f / 2.4
- Leica Summarit-M 90 mm f / 2.4
Leica X Typ 113 (or Leica X-E)
A Leica X2 replacement will definitely be one of the cameras announced at Photokina. The name of the new model will be Leica X Typ 113 or Leica X-E. Expect 16Mp sensor, 2.7" display and the same Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens (all with some minor improvements). There were also some rumors for a new 23mm f/1.7 ASPH lens (low probability).
Leica will also announce a new D-Lux camera. The current Leica D-Lux 6 camera is listed as discontinued at B&H and is out of stock at Adorama. You can expect an EVR, 4k video and Wi-Fi to come with the new version.
The upcoming Leica V-Lux Typ 114 camera has leaked several times already. Expect the following features: 25-400mm zoom (35mm equivalent), 4k video, 3" LCD rotatable screen, EVF, Wi-Fi.
Update: the new Leica V-Lux will probably be based on the Panasonic FZ1000 camera.
Other rumored Leica products
Here are few other Leica rumors:
- Updated: New Leica M-A camera that will replace the MP (the M-A was already announced few months ago). The M-A will have few updates to the design, better glass quality and will include the rewind crank.
- Leica S medium format camera (high probability). The price of the current Leica S model is expected to go down.
- New Leica cloud service for photographers (very high probability). There will be also some kind of new partnership with Instagram and Facebook. The basic account will be free, additional storage will cost extra. Update: could the name of the cloud service be Leica Fotopark?
- Leica M-E camera replacement (very low probability, basically I don't think this will happen)
- Vario-Elmar-T 55-135mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH and Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH lenses (high probability)
- New Leica binoculars (high probability)