Today Leica announced a new mirrorless full frame camera called SL Typ 601. This announcement should not be a surprise to regular LeicaRumors readers because the basic information was already posted on the blog here, here and here months before SL rumors started to make their rounds online.
- Leica L-Mount
- Leica SL system allows access to almost every Leica lens ever made
- Water sealed milled aluminium body
- 24MP CMOS sensor
- Maestro II processor
- 11 fps
- ISO range 50 - 50,000
- Contrast AF system
- SXAG, 4.4 MP EVF
- 4k (4096 x 2160) @ 24 fps video
- Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
- Two SD memory cards slots
- Shutter speed: 1/8000 s to 60 s
- New SL app for iOS and Android
- Sample photos
- Prices: Leica SL camera body - $7,450; Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH lens - $4,950
- New Leica SL lenses: 24–90 mm f/2.8–4, 90–280mm f/2.8–4, 50mm f/1.4
- More SL lenses to be released in the future, including a 35mm f/1.4 Summilux and 50mm f/1 Noctilux:
The LEICA SL mirrorless system camera sets new standards in terms of speed, picture quality and versatility
Wetzlar, 20 October 2015. The Leica SL system marks the beginning of a new era of professional photography made in Germany. The Leica SL mirrorless system camera is impressive on account of its innovations in exceptional Leica quality. Its 24 MP full-frame CMOS sensor and perfectly matched components – from superior-quality lenses to its electronic viewfinder – guarantee exceptional imaging performance.
EyeRes viewfinder and touchscreen display for total control of every picture
Developed especially for the Leica SL, this electronic viewfinder is the first of its kind to feature Leica EyeRes technology. With a latency time below the threshold of perception, an impressive resolution of 4.4 million pixels and a magnification reminiscent of a medium format camera, this electronic viewfinder offers an entirely new visual experience and numerous advantages: the final image is visible in the viewfinder before the shutter release is pressed, which enables optimum control over the final picture in any situation. The EyeRes viewfinder is activated simply by looking through it. In addition, the Leica SL also features a 2.95" back panel display with a viewing angle of up to 170° that enables reliable viewing of pictures and efficient touchscreen menu navigation.
Maestro II processor for maximum performance
The high-performance Maestro II series processor guarantees that photographers never miss even the fastest-moving subjects and that the camera responds instantaneously to all commands. Together with 2 GB of buffer memory, the processor makes it possible to capture consecutive exposures at rates of up to 11 frames per second at full 24 MP resolution and 4K video with a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Pictures can be saved simultaneously to an SD memory card as both a JPEG and DNG in line with the fast UHS II standard. Thanks to its Maestro II series processor, the Leica SL achieves the best performance currently possible in the professional camera class and underlines the innovative character of the camera.
24 MP CMOS sensor for exceptional picture quality in 35 mm full-frame format
The 24 MP CMOS full-frame sensor guarantees impressive dynamic range, excellent contrast rendition, exceptional sharpness, the highest resolution, and noise-free images in almost all lighting conditions. The shutter provides speeds from 30 minutes to 1/8000 sec. The sensor reveals its full potential in combination with Leica SL lenses, especially in available-light situations, and captivates users with atmospheric exposures in superior quality at ISO settings up to a maximum of 50,000. What’s more, it is optimised for use with Leica M-Lenses and, in addition to supporting all their functions, delivers the excellent picture quality with which Leica has been synonymous for more than 100 years.
The new movie star: professional video in cinematic resolution
The Leica SL is much more than a professional still-picture camera with video recording capability: it fulfils even the most stringent demands of moviemakers as a fully fledged video camera. Thanks to its 24 MP CMOS sensor and high-performance Maestro II series processor, the Leica SL enables the production of professional videos in 4K resolution. Videos can be recorded in UHD at 30 frames per second or even in Cine4K at 24 frames per second. In full HD, the Leica SL records video at up to 120 frames per second and makes use of the entire sensor area. Here, the logical and intuitive handling concept of the camera makes a clear distinction between still- and motion-picture recording. As soon as the camera is in video mode, the display shows only relevant information for video recording, such as safe area, aspect ratio, zebra function or the recording level of the microphone. An optional audio adapter allows you to connect an external microphone and the audio recording level can be set without accessing the menu. Videos can be output in 4:2:2 10-bit format in 4K resolution over HDMI 1.4.
Aluminium body for robust performance in everyday photography
From the beginning, resilience and robustness were at the focus of the Leica SL’s development. Body components machined from solid aluminium and precisely engineered seals around controls and in the lenses provide optimum protection against dust, moisture and splashes for the sensitive technology inside. At the same time, integrated ultrasonic sensor cleaning removes dust and dirt from the sensor. The glass covering the back panel display is extremely scratch-resistant and features an anti-reflex coating. All these properties make the camera an ideal tool for use in the rough, everyday conditions faced by professional photographers. In the interplay between its equally classic and functional design and its distinctive lines, the Leica SL is another example of Leica’s fine art of engineering.
A new generation of lenses for excellent picture quality
The combination of outstanding imaging performance and the fastest autofocus currently possible makes working with the Leica SL an entirely new experience and enables photographers to produce images in a quality never before seen in 35 mm format. True to Leica’s principles, the new lenses specific to the Leica SL are distinguished by superior optical and mechanical precision. With its wide range of focal lengths and high speed, the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. is the ideal standard zoom lens in the Leica SL-System portfolio. The zoom range of the fast Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4 follows on directly from this and the current lens portfolio is rounded off by the Leica Summilux-SL 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH., the new reference lens for this focal length.
What’s more, the exceptional compatibility of the Leica SL-System grants photographers access to almost all Leica lenses ever made. For instance, all lenses for the Leica T camera can be used without an adapter. In addition, appropriate adapters allow Leica S, M, and R system lenses and lenses from other manufacturers to be mounted on the Leica SL.
The Leica SL (Type 601) body will be on sale from 16 November 2015. The Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. zoom lens will be available at the same time. Further Leica SL lenses will follow.
Lenses (lens mount: Leica L-Mount)
- Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH.
- Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4
- Leica Summilux-SL 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH.
- Lenses from the Leica T Camera System, Leica M-Lenses with Leica M-Adapter T, Leica S-Lenses with
- Leica S-Adapter L, Leica R-Lenses with Leica R-Adapter L and Leica Cine lenses with Leica PL-Adapter L.
- Type: 24-MP-CMOS-Sensor (24 x 36 mm)
- Resolution: Full Frame (24 MP): 6000 x 4000 Pixel, APS-C (10 MP): 3936 x 2624 Pixel
- Filter: IR-Filter, no Lowpass Filter
- ISO: ISO 50–ISO 50,000
- Sensor Cleaning: Provided
- Type: Leica Maestro II series
- Internal RAM: 2 GB: 33 DNGs or 30 JPEGs and DNGs
- Image Data Format: JPEG, DNG
- Color depth: 14 bit (DNG), 8 bit (JPEG)
- JPEG: Color Space Adobe RGB, ECI RGB, sRGB
- File Format: MP4, MOV
- Resolution: 4K (4096 x 2160) @ 24 fps; 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 25 and 30 fps; 1080 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps; 720 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps
- Bitrate: 8 bit (recording); 10 bit (HDMI not recording)
- Color sampling: 4:2:2/10 bit (HDMI only); 4:2:0/8 bit (recording on SD card)
- Video: V-Log L gamma selectable
- Audio: Manual/Auto; Stereo microphone, 48 kHz, 16 bit; Wind elimination
- Audio external via Audio-Adapter: Audio-In (3.5 mm phone jack), Audio-Out (3.5 mm phone jack)
- Movie Length: Max. duration: 29 min, Max. size: 4 GB
- Resolution: SXAG, 4.4 MP
- Size: 0.66"
- Eye Point: 20 mm
- Field of View: 37°
- Magnification: x 0.80 (With 50 mm lens at infinity, −1 dpt)
- Frame coverage: 100 %
- Diopter correction: − 4 to +2
- Eye Sensor: Yes
- Operating Modes: Video- and Photo-Live-View separated; Frame rate: up to 60 fps; Exposure simulation available,
- Optional information: Focus Peaking, Histogram, Clipping/Zebra, Level, Grid Overlay (3 x 3, 6 x 4), Aspect Ratio (1.33:1; 1.66:1; 1.78:1; 1.85:1; 2.35:1; 2.4:1), Safe Area (80 %; 90 %; 92.5 %; 95 %)
- SD 1 slot (UHS II) with maximum writing speed 100 MB/s, SD 2 slot (UHS I) with maximum writing speed 30 MB/s
- Type: Contrast AF
- Focus Modes: AF-S (focus priority), AF-C (shutter priority), MF, Touch-AF
- AF Modes: Static, Dynamic (tracking), Auto (face detection)
- AF Size: Point, Field, Zone (9 Fields)
- AF Steps: 37 or 49 Fields
- AF Assist Lamp: Built in
- Exposure Modes: Program Mode (P), Shutter speed priority mode (T),
- Aperture priority mode (A) and manual mode (M)
- Exposure Metering Modes: Center weighted, Multi zone, Spot
- Exposure Compensation: ±3 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 EV-steps
- Exposure Bracketing: 3/5/7 images in 1/2/3 aperture steps; additional direct JPEG-HDR
- Preset Auto, Daylight 5200 K, Cloudy 6000 K, Shade 7000 K, Tungsten 3200 K, HMI 5600 K, Fluorescent warm 4000 K, Fluorescent cool 4500 K, Flash 5400 K, Greycard, Manual color temperature 2000 K to 11500 K
- Type: Focal plain shutter
- Drive Modes: Single, Continuous slow S (4 fps), Continuous medium M (7 fps), Continuous fast F (11 fps), Self timer 2 s, Self timer 12 s, Interval, Exposure Bracketing, Time exposures up to 30 min
- Shutter speed: 1/8000 s to 60 s, time exposures up to 30 min, Max. frame rate 11 fps,
- Warranty: 2 years or 200,000 releases
- Interface: Standard X-jack, Hot shoe with Sync. and TTL-Mode contacts
- X-Synchronization: 1/250 s
- Built in, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n (2.5 GHz)
- Built in, Automatic time and date, Sensitivity < 1°
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, Nominal voltage 8.4 V, Capacity at least 1860 mAh; Lifetime per charge (CIPA): approx. 400 shoots; Charging time: approx. 180 min; Charger: 100–240 V 50/60 Hz 0.25 A with adapters
- 2.95" Touch Back light LED with Anti-fingerprint and Anti-scratch coating; 1.04 Mio. pixels; Format 3:2; View angle: 170°; Colors: 16 Million; Frame coverage: 100 %
- 1.28" highly reflective monochrome LCD; 128 x 128 dots; View angle 120°; Anti-fingerprint coating
- Material: Milled Aluminium
- Dust/Spray water sealing: Provided
- Interfaces: USB 3.0 Micro Type B; HDMI Type A; Multi connector adapter for Audio-Out 3.5 mm/Audio-In 3.5 mm; Multi
- Connector cable release; ISO accessory shoe with center and control contacts for flash units; Standard X-jack;
- Multifunctional interface in baseplate for optional handgrip
- Tripod threat: A 1/4 DIN 4503 (1/4") with anti-twist locking pin
- Dimensions: 147 x 104 x 39 mm (W x H x D)/
- Weight: approx. 771/847 g (with/without battery)
- Working conditions: Approx. 0°– 40°C, max. 85 % humidity
Scope of delivery
- Camera body, Camera strap, Lens mount cap, Battery, Battery Charger with international adapter, USB 3.0-cable, Manual, Warranty Card, Leica Lens cleaning tissue
- Remote Control (USB): Leica Image Shuttle SL; Remote Control (Wi-Fi): Leica SL app (Android/iOS)