Pictures of the Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH lens have been floating online since October last year. Today Leica officially announced the lens (this also explains the rumored TL firmware update I reported few days ago). The US price is $2,995 (UK price: £1,800 incl. VAT). Pre-orders are now open at: B&H | Leica Store Miami.
Technical specifications and press release:
- Short telephoto prime macro lens is designed for the APS-C-format T-series of mirrorless cameras, and provides a 90mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords notable control over depth of field for creative selective focus imagery.
- True macro design affords a life-size, 1:1 magnification ratio along with a 6.3" minimum focusing distance, or a 2.4" minimum working distance, for working with close-up subjects.
- Internal focusing mechanism maintains the overall lens length during use for more accurate control when working with close-up subjects.
- Full-time manual focus operation enables more precise control when needed.
- Apochromatic optical design reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations throughout the focusing range for increased clarity and color neutrality.
- Four aspherical elements are featured to minimize spherical aberrations and distortions for greater apparent sharpness.
- Metal lens barrel offers durability as well as an unmatched, classic feel and a matching aluminum alloy lens hood is also included.
Comparable 35mm Focal Length: 90 mm
|Camera Mount Type||Leica L|
|Angle of View||27°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||6.30" (16 cm)|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||1:1|
|Filter Thread||Front: 60 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Approx. 2.68 x 3.50" (68 x 89 mm)|
|Weight||11.29 oz (320 g)|
Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. prime lens added to Leica T lens portfolio
All lenses for Leica T camera system to be marketed under the new designation ‘TL’
Leica Camera has released a new prime lens for the Leica T camera system: the Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. This macro lens is considered to be the reference lens in the APS-C category, and delivers impressive macro exposures with a reproduction ratio of 1:1.
With this new addition, the Leica T lens portfolio now comprises a total of six lenses. Three prime lenses and three zoom lenses are currently available, offering a range of focal lengths for every photographic situation. The two fast prime lenses – the Leica Summicron-TL 23mm f/2 ASPH. and the Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. – provide classic focal lengths for reportage photography. The APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. complements these lenses, and is designed for finely detailed close-up photography.
The three compact zoom lenses – Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11–23mm f/3.5–4.5 ASPH., Vario-Elmar-TL 18–56mm f/3.5–5.6 ASPH. and APO-Vario-Elmar-TL 55–135mm f/3.5–4.5 ASPH. – cover an entire range of focal lengths equivalent to 17 - 200 mm in 35mm format, and deliver outstanding images with rich contrast from corner to corner of the frame.
As the Leica T and the new Leica SL share the same L bayonet mount, the designation ‘TL’ will be applied to all new lenses manufactured for the Leica T camera system going forward. Thanks to the versatility offered by TL-Lenses for an extensive range of applications, this once again highlights Leica’s commitment to system compatibility and sustainability, offering users access to an even more diverse portfolio of Leica products.
All Leica TL-Lenses deliver outstanding imaging results at all ranges from infinity to their closest focusing distance, and capture photographs with the inimitable ‘Leica look’ and unique bokeh. Each lens has been designed by Leica’s optical engineering specialists in Wetzlar, Germany, and offers the exceptional performance for which Leica lenses are renowned. A combination of extraordinary optical and technical expertise, together with the use of only the finest materials, guarantee consistent quality and reliability in every situation.
The Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. is available in a choice of black or silver anodised finish.
Pricing and availability
The Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 mm f/2.8 ASPH. is scheduled to be available from mid-September at a suggested retail price of £1,800 including VAT. The lens hood retails at £80.00 including VAT.