Since SLR Magic initially broke the news about their new HyperPrime 50mm f/0.95 lens (M mount), they had to make some design changes to the final version before today's official announcement:
- The lens is bigger than the initial prototype and it's a true 50mm focal length. The f/0.95 is also a true aperture and not a theoretical f value
- Some changes were done in order to use the lens on RED Epic and ARRI Alexa cameras
For comparison, here is the Leica Noctilux 50mm f/0.95:
Here are some samples taken with a pre-production SLR Magic HyperPrime 50mm f/0.95, Canon 50mm-f/95, Leica Noctilux 50mm f/0.95 and Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 lenses:
SLR Magic expands its M mount lineup with a new normal focal length lens
Hong Kong, China (January 1, 2012) - SLR Magic opens up the M mount lens lineup with the new SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 ultra fast normal focal length lens. The world's fastest interchangeable camera lens with an image circle beyond full frame coverage in its focal length, the SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 concept lens will be publicly available for experience testing in September 2012 at Photokina in Cologne, Germany.
The field of view of this new HyperPrime Lens corresponds to a 50mm lens in 35mm format. It is optimized to be shot wide open. This ultra fast normal focal length prime lens opens up many new creative composition opportunities, particularly in the fields of available light, in portrait, and street cinematography. Built with modern non aspherical lens technology, the lens excels at defocusing busy backgrounds at T0.95. A minimum focus distance of 0.70m allows for artistic bokeh effect. A fast maximum aperture of T0.95 makes the SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 ideal for available-light photography.
Our highest priority in the development of all HyperPrime lenses is to fulfill the demands of professional cinematographers and photographers. The design and build of the SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 is solid and reliable.
The SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95, a concept lens, will be available from authorized SLR Magic dealers by the end of September 2012.
- Lens Type: Fast normal lens with seven Tantalum glass elements to ensure superior cinematic performance.
- Compatible Cameras: All RangeFinder M mount, LM mount for cinematography, E-mount, and Micro Four Thirds cameras
- Optical Design: 12 elements in 7 groups
- Distance range: 0.70m to ∞, combined scale meter/feet
- Aperture: Manually controlled diaphragm, 12 aperture blades (circular), lowest value 16
- Bayonet: M-mount, E-mount, micro four thirds
- Filter Mount: 62mm; filter mount does not rotate
- Surface Finish: Black anodized
- Dimensions (length to bayonet mount): approx. 95mm (approx. 3.74in) without hood, approx. 110mm (approx. 4.33in) with retractable hood
- Largest diameter: approx. 73mm (approx. 2.87in)
- Weight: approx. 975g (approx. 34.39oz)